Sunday, June 24, 2012

36 weeks

I cannot believe I am down to my last month. While the baby probably will not get here for the next four weeks or more, I could go at anytime.


We have a few names picked up, but will not decide until she is here and we see her face. We've ordered some newborn size cloth diapers as well as Ella's old diapers can be converted to newborn size. At this point we plan to do a combination of cloth and disposable until she isn't pooping every two minutes like newborn breast fed babies do.

I'm hoping for a vaginal, unmedicated birth. At my 34 week ultrasound the baby weighed 5lbs and 4oz. She was in the 49.5 percentile so doesn't get more perfect than that. I talked to my OB at that visit regarding an unmedicated birth. We discussed what happens if I go past my due date as an induced birth can be longer and more painful and therefore more likely to require medication. The OB stated they do not like to go much past a week of your due date but would consider more close monitoring of the baby if we wanted to go past that.




I am really ready to meet this baby and see what she looks like. I am starting to get a little swelling from time to time. Nothing like it was with Ella and it actually goes away if I lay down. This baby CONSTANTLY has hiccups. I am talking 3 or more times a day. You can both see and feel them from the outside. A fetus having hiccups is just as annoying, if not more annoying, than having them yourself. I'm still feeling great with lots of energy at most times. I have noticed moments of increased irritability lately as well as sometimes my stomach is so tight it feels like it could burst. The baby is running out of room and the dragging of elbows, knees, and other body parts is often very painful.  Ella has started talking to the baby through my belly button. Tom told her the baby can hear her if she talks through my belly button.


With Ella's pregnancy I was so worried about having the nursery in perfect shape, every outfit she would ever need, the car seat installed weeks ahead of time, and my bag packed and ready to go. I have to admit I havent even finished organizing the nursery, the car seat is still sitting in the living room, and the hospital stuff is laid out but not packed. After having gone through it once, I realize all I need are some diapers, a few outfits, my boobs, and a few blankets.
I have actually been spending my time getting rid of stuff we don't need, organizing what we do need, and stocking up on the more important things. For example, I remember how after I had Ella it seemed like I never had enough pads. I was constantly running to the store for more, sending Tom out for more, for weeks and weeks and weeks. So I have started stocking up on them ahead of time. I have also asked my mom and my aunt Dawn to come next weekend and do a very thorough clean of the house. While I clean every weekend, I would love someone to wash windows, curtains, baseboards, the showers, etc. I also am putting a water proof pad under the sheets on my side of the bed today. While only 1 in 4 women's water break, I don't want some gushing mishap to ruin our fairly new king size mattress. I also am going to be stocking up on things like nursing tank tops and ugly, comfortable underwear. I also need to get my breast pump out, cleaned, and make sure its working before I am engorged. I learned the hard way last time and had to sprint out a few days after Ella was born to purchase the pump. Other than that I am trying to enjoy every single second of and taking advantage of Ella being an only child. Tom and I both are trying to spend as much quality, family, fun summer time with her as possible.

While I've stated several times in the past, this pregnancy started out as unplanned and not quite what we had in mind at the time. I have to say that Tom and I are both in a place now where we are really excited and ready for her to arrive. I'm not sure yet if this will be my last pregnancy or not. I've thought a lot about it, especially lately. It makes me really sad to think this could be the last time I feel this way. I am blessed to so easily get pregnant and so easily carry a baby. Not all women are that lucky. So for now, we will cherish what we have and sit back and wait for our newest family member to arrive.





No comments:

Post a Comment