Thursday, July 5, 2012

38 weeks



I cannot believe that in less than a month I will have a three year old and in less than a month we will have another little girl joining our family. While it seems like Ella has always been a part of our lives, I remember her birth like yesterday. I cannot believe how the time flies by. It makes me a bit sad that this pregnancy is coming to a close because before I know it I will be sitting here with the new baby about to turn three, Ella about to turn six, and time marching on.

I'm still trucking along and not allowing pregnancy or the heat to slow me down in the slightest. I did have a bit of a hiccup on Tuesday morning. I got to work and after about an hour of being there got so dizzy I couldn't walk, my pulse was racing, I was sweating and nauseous. No matter what I did (including laying on my office floor) it wouldn't let up. My boss and I went to the dr office next door and had them take my blood pressure and it was 144 over 80. My BP is normally around 100 over 60. At this point I was completely convinced I had developed pre eclampsia. I had Tom come pick me up and I phoned the OB. I was already scheduled for later that day for my weekly visit and a non stress test. The OB advised I rest, drink lots of water, and come in as scheduled. When I went in my BP had dropped and the non stress test the baby looked absolutely amazing according to it.


All those up and down bumps are the baby moving and the heart rate going up when she moves, exactly what they want to see.



The OB assured that the baby was fine and he felt everything was okay. The baby is head down and has dropped into my pelvis and Im scheduled to go back next week. In the 38 weeks I have been pregnant I have only gained a total of 18 pounds, perfect!  I took a total of four and half hours worth of naps that day drank tons of water and felt much much better by that evening.

Tom is beginning to freak out the closer I get because he has his summer finals next Wednesday. We are both hoping that I can at least hold off for one more week. But I hate to say that Im having lots of cramping tonight so we will see where this leads. Sleep has also become increasingly difficult and I have to say that last night was the worst night sleep Ive had in years. Other than that though I am feeling amazingly well. Like Ive said before, I am clearly blessed with uneventful pregnancies. The swelling has even gone down since I've increased my water intake again.

I started taking evening primrose oil last week. It's an herb that many midwives recommend. I took it with my last pregnancy as well. You typically start it around 36 or 37 weeks and can take it both orally and vaginally. It DOES NOT start labor. It is meant to ripen and soften the cervix so that a natural, unmedicated labor is more realistic. Therefore, even if you have to get induced by your water being broken for going over, youre more likely to not need pitocin and to go ahead and go into labor naturally.

I'm not sure how much I've talked about it but my goal is to have a natural, unmedicated labor and delivery. I have researched it, talked to my midwife, visualized it, prepared Tom and discussed it with him, and created a very thorough birth plan which Ive included below. People have asked why in the world would I want to go unmedicated. I felt like I got talked into an epidural after laboring with Ella for over 9 hours. I ended up letting the epidural wear off by the time I delivered and essential delivered unmedicated but at the same time not really. Giving birth to Ella has been by far the most amazing experience of my life. I was on a complete labor high. I still envy people in labor. It was the most proud Ive ever been in myself, Ive never felt more accomplished. It's the most incredible and exciting time of your life. So why wouldn't I want to fully experience that? Beyond that it is ultimately safer for the mother and child and you are less likely to have complications and more likely to fully bond with your child and it encourages milk production and breastfeeding. It can often lead to less pain in the long run due to complications from medications or c section due to labor not progressing as it should when taking medications. Ultimately its a personal decision and a personal quest.



MY BIRTH PLAN:

Prior to active labor:                                                                     

·         I would like to discuss laboring at home as long as possible.            

·         If I go past my due date and the baby and I are fine, I prefer to go into labor naturally rather than be induced with closer monitoring of the baby.

·         If induction becomes necessary, I would like to try natural induction techniques first (with the guidance of my practitioner).

·         These are the natural induction techniques I would like to try:

1.      Breast stimulation

2.      Walking

3.      Sexual intercourse

4.      Evening Primrose Oil

5.      Raspberry Tea

·         If Medical induction becomes necessary, I prefer to try:

1.      Stripping membranes

2.      Rupturing membranes



Upon arrival at the hospital: I AM  PREPARING FOR AN UNMEDICATED LABOR, I HOPE TO HAVE A NURSE WHO SUPPORTS AND BELIEVES IN THIS TYPE OF LABOR

·         I prefer to have my support partner with me at all times, Tom Gazinski

·         I trust that my practitioner will seek out my opinion concerning all of the issues directly affecting my birth before deviating from my plan.

·         I prefer to give birth in a birthing room.

·         I would like a midwife present if possible

·         I would like to attempt to deliver in positions other than lying flat on back (lithotomy position)

·         If birth equipment is available, I would like to use:

1.      A birthing tub/pool/shower.

2.      A birthing stool.

3.      A squatting bar.

4.      A birthing ball

·         I would like to have small amounts of food if hungry and liquids if thirsty during labor

·         I request staff NOT offer pain medication unless I request it

·         I am prepared to try to handle pain with these natural and alternative methods:

1.      Breathing techniques.

2.      Distraction techniques.

3.      Massage.

4.      Deep (or guided) relaxation.

5.      Water/bath/shower.

6.      Hot/cold therapy

·         Other considerations :

1.      Ultimately, I want to be able to walk around and move as I wish while in labor.

2.      Ultimately, I want to feel unrestricted in delivery positions

·         I would like to be encouraged to try the following different positions for labor:

1.      Whatever feels right at the time

·         I would like to push instinctively when I have the urge. Coaching would be appreciated during crowing to help reduce the likelihood of perineal tearing.

·         To help prevent tearing, please apply:

1.       Hot compresses.

2.      Oil.

3.      Perineal massage.

·         Please use local anesthetic for repairs

·         If intervention is needed for an assisted vaginal birth, please discuss benefits of forceps vs vacuum delivery 

·         Please delay cord clamping if possible

·         I would like my husband to cut the cord

·         I would like to avoid Pitocin to deliver the placenta unless medically necessary



Following Delivery

·         If no complications, I would like the baby placed on my chest immediately.

·         I would like as much time as possible to bond with baby before procedures are completed

·         I would like all newborn routine procedures to be performed in my presence.

·         I would like the eye drops to be administered following bonding time and the vitamin K to be given orally if possible and during bonding time

·         My baby is to be exclusively breastfed.  I would like to try to breastfeed as soon as possible following delivery. Please do not offer any formula or artificial nipples unless medically necessary. Please do not offer sugar water.

·         I would like to see a lactation consultant as soon as possible for further recommendations and guidance.

·         Please bathe my baby after we have had time to bond with her

·         If the baby has any complications, I would like my partner to be present with the baby at all times, if possible. I would also like to be transported with baby if possible



I would like my in-hospital routine to be:

·         I do not want the baby to be taken from our room or taken to the nursery at any time unless medically necessary

·         I prefer a private room.                                                                                    

·         I prefer to have my partner stay with me for the duration of my hospital stay.



If a C-Section is not an emergency, please give us time alone to think about it before asking for our written consent.

·         Please discuss anesthesia options with me

·         I prefer low transverse incision

·         I would like the baby to be shown to me immediately after she’s born.

·         I would like to sign any waivers necessary to permit me to be with my baby in recovery.

·         As long as my baby is healthy, I would like my partner to be the baby’s constant source of attention until I am free to bond with it (i.e., holding, skin-to-skin contact, etc.).

·         Please pay special attention to our nursing needs in recovery. I may need some extra help nursing after the operation.

·         Please discuss with me what I can expect to feel immediately following the procedure.

·         Please discuss my post-operative pain medication options with me before or immediately following the procedure.

No comments:

Post a Comment